Monday, April 2, 2018

From the shelf: Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3)

Title: Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Dystopian
Date read: March 25-April 1, 2018
Dawn Rates:  (4/5)

Summary (cr: goodreads)

In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she's just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a higher price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.

My Review: (also in goodreads)

Lookback:
I know that I should've finished this novel days ago but reality bites and I had to stop here and there. Anyway...

Just like the books before, this third installment is a re-telling of a popular tale: Rupunzel. Cress is a Lunar shell that has been isolated within a satellite and tasked to spy on the Earthen union which for the most part her task is to trick them. She's doing it so well that no one suspects when in fact she's been secretly helping the "band of misfits" as everyone would say, aboard the Rampion. She was introduced in the 2nd book where the crew were broken apart due to their plan being hijacked, with Scarlet in danger with Lunars.

It's funny how the author made Cress as a lovesick Thorne fangirl and it made me laugh a few times which was both entertaining and embarrassing especially if you're reading the book in a public place. I've always said that Thorne is my favorite character aside from of course, Kai (sorry Ze'ev, you're too cheesy for me though I admire your loyalty and your capacity to love). Thorne has this playful glint in his eye and though I love the fact that Cress is obviously his partner, I'm still a fan of the Thorne/Cinder dynamic. As for Dr. Erland's secret, I've suspected it before it was revealed towards the end of the book which was kinda anti-climactic for me. 

I'm also kind of a believer of the fact that not everything is evil in the first place. I have this feeling that Levana wasn't that evil in the beginning. I couldn't shake off the fact that I can give her the benefit of the doubt though whatever deaths she orchestrated is inexcusable, I really feel that there's a reason behind everything.

I have said in the last two reviews, that the pace was kinda slow which I believe was the buildup the author wants to get everyone hyped for the climax and I'm really glad that everything is being pieced together in this book. Everything is coming together even though not everyone is together. Levana's step daughter is introduced in this book and I suspect that she is going to tell her story in the last installment of the series. 

The last line is my favorite:

"You said that people of Luna need a revolutionary. So I'm going to Luna, and I'm going to start a revolution"

A revolutionary. A revolution.
I know that this has been the theme for all the books in the dystopian genre and what reeled me into the series is the author's unorthodox way to weave a re-telling of childhood tales with science fiction and humor....okay, of romance too.
I need to read Winter now. This is the advantage of having the full series at my disposal: binge-reading it is.

Oh, also...as much as I love Cinder and Kai, well they are canon after all, and the fact that Iko has been publicly harboring a crush on Kai....I would like to see Thorne squirm his way towards Cress more. Scarlet and Ze'ev is kinda okay for me, too romantic for my taste but I like Scarlet's spunk....oh, and I would also love more of Cinder and Thorne's friendship.

Till the next read....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...