Sunday, March 27, 2016

From the shelf: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1)


Title: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Date read: March 24-26, 2016
Dawn Rates:  (4/5)

Summary (cr: goodreads)

In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.
 

My Review: (also in goodreads)

My sister has been raving about this for quite a while now and even pestering me on reading this series. I am the kind of reader who does not care whatever genre the book is as long as it gives me a great story and that I would recommend to readers and non readers alike. Okay, try to scold me for reading this far too late (and having my book signed 'Court of Thorns and Roses' before starting this series. Yep, the author was here for a book signing and I will tell you all about it later). So did I enjoy this?

YAASSSS....YAASSSS and more YAASS...

But first let me start on saying that saying the names in the book is a mouthful. Really? Celaena Sardothien. Oh, Okay....Ellywe....oh...right. Uhm, Nehemia Ytger. OHHHHKAAAAY.

Anyway, the premise really caught me. A skilled assassin fighting for her freedom. YEP! Fae? Sign me up. I am a fan of Holly Black's Tithe series (guys, read that...because....Rath Roiben Rye 'nuff said.) and with other elements in the scene, this really made me curious. The story starts with Celaena wasting away in the salt mines of Endovier not until Chaol Westfall comes to her and tells her that she has been chosen as the crown prince's champion. And in order to regain he freedom she must win and server the king for 4 years. That is a good bargain for her so she accepts although not at first. Also, she has to conceal that she is THE Celaena Sardothien....an assassin feared by many. 

It was too obvious that Dorian, crown prince of Adarlan, is obviously smitten during the course of the book. But of course there was a foreshadowing of complications if their relationship will push through: first of all, HE is the crown prince of Adarlan, a country who keeps on declaring war to conquer the countries around it and she is from Terrasen. I could also see a possible triangle between Dorian, Celaena and Chaol. I would like Chaol to be that one friend that Celaena could trust and not as a love interest. There are many questions left by this book: first of all, what the heck happened to Arobynn, who is Sam, what happened to Nox when he escaped, the wydmark on her forehead and many among others. Will I read the sequel? Definitely.

Oh, and I saw that Rick Riordan loved this book. I am a fan of his works. Definitely a fan, I have all of his books....in hardbound.

Till the next read...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...