Wednesday, March 30, 2016

From the shelf: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)

Title: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Date read: March 28-30, 2016
Dawn Rates:  (5/5)

Summary (cr: goodreads)


"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.

My Review: (also in goodreads)


I always had qualms in continuing a series. The first book should be interesting enough to help me decide if I should pick up the sequel or not. Oftentimes the sequel for me would be my make or break if this particular series will hold my interest. Sometimes the first book sucks then the sequel gives them the redemption they deserve. Rare are those times where the sequel is a whole tad better than the first book. And this is one of those times.

I loved, loved, loved Crown of Midnight more than Throne of Glass. Finally! This is how I envisioned Calaena Sardothien who they claimed is the most notorious assassin who ever existed. Everyone feared her and trembled at the echo of her name. This is how I wanted to see her. In her true form. The first book was interesting, but Calaena was too girly and not quite herself there that I wanted to shake her to wake her up. And this sequel didn't disappoint. This is the most ruthless, cunning Celaena I hae ever seen and I liked it. Finally some action!

The moment that Dorian and Celaena bid their goodbyes ending their romantic relationship at the first book, I knew then and there that Chaol will grab the opportunity. Don't get me wrong, I love Chaol...but I don't see him with her romantically. Sure they had their time, (Yes, I was cringing when they had those couple moments) but I really didn't see Chaol with her in the long term. I saw him as her best friend. It even came to a point that  when I wanted to break them up, especially when a sorrowful, significant death happened: I was too happy reading her not wanting to have Chaol back in her life. Okay, so I was partly rooting for Dorian. I only wanted Chaol as her dear friend not in a romantic way.

I have this feeling that Gavin (First King of Adarlan) and Elena (First Queen of Terassen) have something to do with Dorian and Celaena's fates. At least that is what I would like to think about. I often wondered if they are the reincarnations of the two, but it will be awfully complicated if that were true.

This book is like a homecoming. This is where events must take place to pave all of the things that would happen later in the series. Yes, I loved the second book too much that I can't wait to get my hands on the third book. SJ Maas, you've done a great job. Although I couldn't imagine how empty I will feel the moment I will read the last book (so far) in the series.

Ashryver eyes
The fairest eyes, from legends old
Of brightest blue, ringed with gold.

Till the next read...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...