Sunday, September 20, 2015

From the shelf: When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After #3)

Title: When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After #3)
Author: Tessa Dare
Genre: Historical Romance, Regency Romance
Date read: September 14-15, 2015
Dawn rates:   (5/5)

Summary (cr: goodreads)


On the cusp of her first London season, Miss Madeline Gracechurch was shyly pretty and talented with a drawing pencil, but hopelessly awkward with gentlemen. She was certain to be a dismal failure on the London marriage mart. So Maddie did what generations of shy, awkward young ladies have done: she invented a sweetheart.

A Scottish sweetheart. One who was handsome and honorable and devoted to her, but conveniently never around. Maddie poured her heart into writing the imaginary Captain MacKenzie letter after letter … and by pretending to be devastated when he was (not really) killed in battle, she managed to avoid the pressures of London society entirely.

Until years later, when this kilted Highland lover of her imaginings shows up in the flesh. The real Captain Logan MacKenzie arrives on her doorstep—handsome as anything, but not entirely honorable. He’s wounded, jaded, in possession of her letters… and ready to make good on every promise Maddie never expected to keep.

My Review: (also in goodreads)

Castles Ever After series: Romancing the Duke, Say Yes to the Marquess

Wow, this the third book of the Castles Ever After series! This would be the only series I have read from Tessa Dare and I absolutely love it. But of course I have to play favorites: I really loved the first book featuring Izzy and Ransom. I laughed and cringed at their love story. I also liked the second book featuring Rafe and Clio but not as much as I loved the first book.

Just when I thought I could settle with the fact that I am too biased with the first book, I was wrong. Logan and Maddie captured my heart. They are my new favorite duo from the Castles Ever After series. Maddie is someone who wants to follow her dreams outside of marriage and that is something unacceptable during their time. Women were supposed to wed into good families early and start a family. If a woman is married, they could not land a job like an independent woman they should make their family the top priority. That is the reason I don't like the victorian/regency times. Although I am in awe on how they handle love. 

Being independent woman is the reason why Maddie gave life to Captain Logan MacKenzie: a dashing Scottish lover who is a figment of her imagination. She writes to him and tells her family about their love story and that is her excuse to not attend the London season in search for a husband. She is living the dream while lying to her family. She should've gotten away with it by killing her imaginary lover off but then comes the REAL Captain Logan MacKenzie. That is how the story starts.

I would like to advise everyone not to read this in a public transport, I repeat: "Do not read this in a public transport". You will be laughing and cringing like crazy that the people near you would look at you like you're a fool. There are so many scenes in which I laughed out loud forgetting the fact that I wasn't at home. Seriously, their love story would make me embarrass myself to death. I liked Maddie's character despite her innocence with regards to love. Their chemistry and humor combined is off the charts. My favorite scene was at the bog where Logan was doing a one-man play while Maddie was stuck....hilarious. Grant may be Maddie's favorite person but mine would be Callum.

Till the next read...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...