Sunday, August 23, 2015

From the shelf: The Surgeon (Rizzoli and Isles #01)

Title: The Surgeon (Rizzoli and Isles #01)
Author: Tess Gerritsen
Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Crime, Thriller
Date read: August 12-13, 2015
Dawn Rates:  (5/5)

Summary (cr: goodreads)

In Boston, there's a killer on the loose. A killer who targets lone women, who breaks into their apartments and performs terrifying ritualistic acts of torture on them before finishing them off. His surgical skills lead police to suspect he is a physician - a physician who, instead of saving lives, takes them.

But as homicide detective Thomas Moore and his partner Jane Rizzoli begin their investigation, they make a startling discovery. Closely linked to these killings is Catherine Cordell, a beautiful medic with a mysterious past. Two years ago she was subjected to a horrifying rape and attempted murder but she shot her attacker dead. Now she is being targeted by the new killer who seems to know all about her past, her work, and where she lives.

The man she believes she killed seems to be stalking her once again, and this time he knows exactly where to find her...
 

My Review: (also in goodreads)

I always say this and I love saying this all the time. Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense/Espionage is my favorite genre. I mean, I read everything but this genre has a special place. That is why I used to watch the series CSI + currently loving Bones and Castle. Finding a good recommended book is always about trial and error. The joy of reading, the woes of disappointment all wrapped into a few hours of letting yourself go in a world of endless possibilities. Detective Jane Rizzoli is one of the main protagonists of this series and although the Isles part hasn't been introduced yet this was still a fascinating read. The story starts off with Detective Thomas Moore being pulled out from his vacation to assist Rizzoli with an investigation.potential serial killer similar to what he had before. Frighteningly familiar and strange as it is, he helps her. However, Rizzoli was stern and stubborn at first, not accepting any form of help since she had this urge to prove herself, because in their department no matter how good you are, they still view you as a frail, untalented woman. Woman, that being the operative word. What I liked about this series and what really got me hooked is the part where this reminded me why I love reading this kind of books: the rush, the anticipation, the roller coaster ride of emotions and the never ending guesses especially the guesses. I loved the fact that there were no clues (slim to none) as to who that killer is as well as his motive till the end. Although I was disappointed because I was gunning for Moor and Rizzoli's partnership, I guess everything was for the best. It was realistic and I couldn't ask for more. Although the ride to the killer's identity seem anti-climactic for me, having sensed that the killer had only one important connection to everything. I was sort of satisfactorily okay with it. Yes, I was disappointed people! Even though that is one glitch, I still give this 5 stars. The author, Tess Gerritsen was once a doctor and it showed from the flawless writing of the medical terms because that is saying that she definitely had the experience to make it real. I was really into it, turning the page and holding my breath.

This recommended series from goodreads for me so far is a gem. I wanted to berate myself on why I didn't know this sooner. I was even surprised that this book series is now a TV series spanning 6 seasons and counting, having people gush about it. I'm going to see what its all about soon, but first the books: 1 down, 10 to go...

Till the next read...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...