Tuesday, March 31, 2015

From the shelf: Dark Places

Title: Dark Places
Author: Gillian Flynn
Genre: Adult, Mystery, Psychological Thriller
Date read: March 29-31, 2015
Dawn Rates:  (4/5)

Summary (cr: goodreads)

Libby Day was just seven years old when her evidence put her fifteen-year-old brother behind bars.

Since then, she has been drifting. But when she is contacted by a group who are convinced of Ben's innocence, Libby starts to ask questions she never dared to before. Was the voice she heard her brother's? Ben was a misfit in their small town, but was he capable of murder? Are there secrets to uncover at the family farm or is Libby deluding herself because she wants her brother back?

She begins to realise that everyone in her family had something to hide that day... especially Ben. Now, twenty-four years later, the truth is going to be even harder to find.

Who did massacre the Day family?

My Review: (also in goodreads)

How will a sole survivor to a gruesome massacre ,of her mom and sisters "orchestrated" by her brother, keep on living? Pretend that nothing happened and live a crappy life or retrace the past and entertain the thought that maybe, just maybe your brother didn't do it. That was what tears Libby Day apart. Libby, the baby who survived and whose testimony was the final straw in imprisoning her brother branding him as the prime suspect to the massacre. It starts when she encounters a group of crazed mystery solvers (The Kill Club) who were convinced that her brother is innocent. I like this novel more than Gone Girl maybe because I was spoiled having to watch the movie first before reading the novel; but even though I didn't watch the movie first, I still would've liked this better. It would be impossible for me to discuss this book without giving anything away (I suggest reading it to know what I'm talking about) but all I can say is this book took me into a myriad of emotions, a roller coaster ride. It had its peaks and times where I could hardly breathe. I would've given it just 3 stars because of the anticlimactic moments toward the end but I still enjoyed the middle part so I easily gave 4 stars for this one.

Till the next read..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...