Saturday, July 27, 2013

From the shelf: Me Before You

Title: Me Before You
Author: Jojo Moyes
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Romance, Chick-Lit
Date read: July 9-11, 2013
Dawn Rates:  (5/5)

Summary (cr: goodreads)

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.
My Review: (also in goodreads)

This book has been quite emotionally exhausting for me. The kind that after reading the book, you want to curl up and drown with a bucket of ice cream...that drained. This is the first book I read from Jojo Moyes and I must say she did great in throwing my hopes around throughout the story. It features the promising Will Traynor who got into a severe accident and suddenly became a quadriplegic, a 180 degree turn from what he was...resulting to him being depressed and wanting to end everything now. Here comes Lou Clark, a carer employed by his parents to change his mind for 6 months. I loved the humor, but in contrast I was dreading the pages till the end. I was really into it and was hoping for a better ending. But I guess it is the taste of reality. No one knows the pain someone is going through until they are in that situation. I wanted to push Will off his chair for being so selfish but somehow you could sympathize with him. As I said, this book messed up my emotions like a mean thunderstorm. I want to read the author's other books some other time. I really like how she portrays the reality within the fiction. But first, I have to take a break with all this heavy drama and go read something light. 

Till the next read...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...