Sunday, June 16, 2013

From the Shelf: The Warlock (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel book 5)

Title: The Warlock (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel book 5)
Author: Michael Scott
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Magic, Mythology
Date read: June 2-3, 2013
Dawn Rates:  (4/5)

Summary (cr: goodreads)

In the fifth installment of this bestselling series, the twins of prophesy have been divided, and the end is finally beginning.

With Scatty, Joan of Arc, Saint Germain, Palamedes, and Shakespeare all in Danu Talis, Sophie is on her own with the ever-weakening Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel. She must depend on Niten to help her find an immortal to teach her Earth Magic. The surprise is that she will find her teacher in the most ordinary of places.

My Review: (also in goodreads)

This would be the 2nd to the last book in the alchemyst series (The Alchemyst, The Magician, The Sorceress, The Necromancer). Again, the story line was put together like pieces in a puzzle since the characters were scattered in different places (as for Scatty and the others, in a different era). It also includes the consequences to Josh's decision. What didn't surprise me is that their Aunt Agnes had a significant role in their lives. Aparently, her character is connected to Abraham the Mage (I won't spoil it). In this book, old foes reunite to take care of a common cause and that's defeating John Dee and preventing the dark elders to rise again. I really hate Josh's reasoning here although at the same time I sympathize with him because he too, like his sister, are being pawns of the game. The only difference is that Sophie could see a little bit clearly. 

Compared to the last four books, I can't even guess who the warlock was not until he finally arrived, maybe because my definition of warlock is different to what is being classified in this book. Meanwhile, Scatty and the others are fighting their own battle in the past at Danu Talis where they met Abraham the Mage. Also, I have a new found liking to Machiavelli and Billy the kid. But the greatest shock of them all is the ending part. That's what made me grip my seat and suddenly gave me flashbacks from the last four books. I would've given the book 5 stars but there were filler chapters which I got bored with. But I am definitely anticipating the conclusion to the series.

Till the next read...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...